Muscular structure declines as we age — taking strength, mobility, and overall health with it. Fight back with a healthy lifestyle, regular resistance training, and Muscle Strength & Restore Formula from Life Extension®. This unique combination of β-hydroxy β-methylbutyrate (HMB) and vitamin D3 helps maintain muscle mass, build strength, and support healthy, sustained muscle function. Take this convenient, unflavored powder with any of our protein shake mixes or with a beverage of your choice.
Benefits at a Glance:
- Helps preserve healthy muscle function at any age
- Promotes muscle growth when combined with resistance training1,2
- Delivers 3 g of HMB bioactive leucine metabolite per serving
- Contains 1,000 IU of vitamin D3 for enhanced muscle support3,4
- Unflavored powder mixes with water, drink mix, or protein shake mix
More facts about Muscle Strength & Restore Formula
HMB is a bioactive metabolite of the branched-chain amino acid leucine. HMB has been shown to help maintain muscle function and support muscle growth — especially for those over 65. Vitamin D3 has well-documented benefits for muscle health and healthy bone density. Now, both ingredients are available in a single, convenient supplement.
HMB for muscle protein balance and exercise performance
Skeletal muscle health requires a balance between anabolism (muscle growth) and catabolism (muscle breakdown). And as we age, we become more susceptible to anabolic resistance, where our body's ability to rebuild muscle slows down, even in the presence of necessary amino acids.5
The result is a decline in muscle mass and strength. HMB has beneficial effects on muscle mass by helping to preserve the structural integrity of your muscles and supporting muscle growth.6,7 HMB also supports exercise performance during both resistance1,8-12 and endurance training.13,14
HMB in clinical studies
HMB and Bed Rest: Prolonged bed rest can result in loss of muscle mass. In a randomized placebo-controlled study, men and women were confined to bed rest for 10 days, followed by eight weeks of resistance training rehabilitation. Each group took either 3 g a day of HMB or a placebo for 5 days prior to bed rest, up until the end of the study. The placebo group lost lean mass (that's muscle) during bed rest, but those given HMB during bed rest showed no such decline.15
HMB and Resistance Training: In a randomized placebo-control trial, men and women received 3 g a day of HMB, or a placebo and trained for 4 weeks. At the end of the study, the HMB group had a greater increase in upper body strength than the placebo group.11 In another clinical study, supplementation with 3 g a day of HMB for 9 weeks provided a substantial benefit to lower-body strength when combined with resistance training.12
HMB and Older Adults: In a 24-week, randomized, placebo-controlled study, adults 65 years and older were divided into an exercise group and a non-exercise group. Both groups took either 3 g of HMB twice a day or a placebo. The non-exercise group that took HMB showed signs of improved muscle health — but the exercise group's results were even better, improving measurements of muscle function and lean mass.16
Vitamin D3 for hormone health and muscle function
Vitamin D3 promotes healthy muscle function and metabolism.4,17 Vitamin D also supports healthy mitochondrial function and energy consumption, which are likely to promote muscle strength.3 Vitamin D helps inhibit inflammatory factors that affect muscle health as well.18
Mix with protein or favorite drink
Whether or not you exercise regularly, Muscle Strength & Restore Formula is an excellent addition to your daily health regimen. We've left our formula unflavored, so you can add it to a wide variety of protein shakes, drink mixes, cold water, or your favorite beverage. No matter what your age, try Muscle Strength & Restore Formula today!
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Serving Size 1 scoop (approx. 3.14 g)
|Servings per container: about 30|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol)||1000 IU|
|Calcium (from MyHMB® Calcium ß-Hydroxy-ß-Methylbutyrate Monohydrate)||360 mg|
|HMB (MyHMB® Calcium ß-Hydroxy-ß-Methylbutyrate Monohydrate)||3000 mg|
Other ingredients: sodium citrate, maltodextrin, flavor, stevia extract, starch.
CaHMB and Vitamin D are licensed under U.S. Patent Nos. 8,815,280, 9,259,430, 9,539,224 and 9,707,241.Dosage and Use
- Mix one (1) scoop with approximately 8 oz cold water or beverage of choice in a shaker cup or blender (preferably with your protein shake).
- Drink one shake daily, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
- DO NOT EXCEED RECOMMENDED DOSE
- Do not purchase if outer seal is broken or damaged.
- When using nutritional supplements, please consult with your physician if you are undergoing treatment for a medical condition or if you are pregnant or lactating.
To report a serious adverse event or obtain product information, contact 1-866-280-2852.
- J Appl Physiol (1985). 1996 Nov;81(5):2095-104.
- Eur J Nutr. 2015 Aug;54(5):783-91.
- J Biol Chem. 2016 Jan 15;291(3):1514-28.
- Endocr Rev. 2013 Feb;34(1):33-83.
- Faseb j. 2005 Mar;19(3):422-4.
- Sports Med. 2000 Aug;30(2):105-16.
- Clin Nutr. 2017 Online 6 Oct 2017
- Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2000 Dec;32(12):2109-15.
- Nutrition. 2001 Jul-Aug;17(7-8):558-66.
- Amino Acids. 2011 Apr;40(4):1015-25.
- Nutrition. 2000 Sep;16(9):734-9.
- J Strength Cond Res. 2009 May;23(3):827-35.
- J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2015;12:31.
- J Exerc Physiol. 2015;18(2):84-93.
- Clin Nutr. 2013 Oct;32(5):704-12.
- Exp Gerontol. 2013 Nov;48(11):1303-10.
- Osteoporos Int. 2002 Mar;13(3):187-94.
- Front Physiol. 2017;8:1045.